A Brief History of the Trust
The Titchfield Village Trust came into being in June 1968 when a steering committee was formed to discuss the Draft Titchfield Village Plan which had been prepared by Hampshire County Council, who were at that time the planning authority.
Membership cost just twelve and a half pence (an old half crown to those of you who remember money before 1971)
During the first 21 years of its life it has been central in steering all kinds of village projects; along with objecting to others put forward by various statutory bodies.
In 1968 The Trust did try to save the the Old Market Hall built in 1612. It had been moved from the Square to the rear of the Queens Head in about 1810 but severe cost restraints meant we were unable to mount a rescue for what had become a derelict shell. The newly created Weald and Downland Museum at Singleton came to the rescue however and the superbly refurbished Hall can be viewed at the museum.
In many instances it has supported projects such as the development of Chapel side in East Street, The Village Gate flats on Southampton Hill, The Old Gas Works development in what is now Frog Lane but was then called Castle Street.
The Trust has made a contribution to making sure the development fits in with the surrounding buildings and adds to rather than takes away from the village landscape. The Trust is not there to preserve the village in aspic but rather to make sure it continues as a viable and pleasant place to live. In order to achieve that that we believe housing, shops, and businesses all have there place with the community.
Traffic has always been of concern since the Trust came into being, it still is. During the 1970's the Trust pushed for and were successful in getting a by pass to the East thus reducing considerably the traffic that previously had to come through the village as the main road from Southampton to Gosport. Since then various traffic calming measures, along with parking provision have been advocated by the Trust and in many cases acted upon.
In 1987 and 1988 the Trust provided funds and support for the village to enter the Hampshire Best Kept Village competition and won it on both occasions. The plaques can be seen on the front of the Parish Rooms. To commemorate the wins The Trust purchased a clock which was presented to the village and can be seen on the house next to the Evangelical Church.
If you are interested in the formation of the Trust a book is available free of charge which looks in far more detail at it's first 21 years. Contact the chairman.
We are there for the benefit of Titchfield as a whole, and as you will see from our more recent projects continue to be.
In 2018 we will be celebrating 50 years as an organisation that has done much to make living in the village more than just a pleasure and has helped ensure that Titchfield can look to the future with confidence as well as helping it celebrate a very long and well preserved past.